Thursday, October 15, 2009

What Should We Watch Halloween Week?

We're going to have time to watch a quick horror movie the last week in October. I've narrowed it down to two. Both are classics. Both are good, fun films. And both are significant components of American film history. So here are your two choices. You can vote for your choice using the buttons over to the right of the screen.

First: Someone asked in class about zombie movies, and I said the the first 'modern zombie movie' must be the original The Night of the Living Dead. Is it a little dated? Yes. Does it still deliver? Yes, it most certainly does. I used to show it to my American lit class when we studies American gothic literature. It fit prefectly into the unit and, more improtantly, students enjoyed it. Here's the trailer...



Second: This is a family favorite of mine. And when I say 'family', I mean my particular family. My dad saw this in the theater when it first came out back when he was a little kid. He says it scared the crap out of him and he ran out about a third of the way in. I saw it when I was a kid, and now I watch it with my kids every year. Yes, it's funny. It stars Bud Abbott and Lou Costello, and if you don't know who they are, well, then that's reason enough fo you to vote for this film. They are classic comedy legends, and everyone owes it to themselves to see at least one Abbott and Costello movie before they die. But Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein is more than just a silly comedy. It stars Bela Lugosi as Count Dracula and Lon Chaney, Jr., as the Wolf Man. And as the actors who originally played these two iconic roles, these two guys are horror legends in their own rite. Imagine, I don't know, Jack Black and Seth Rogan starring in movie directed by Wes Craven and written by Stephen King. Spooky, creepy, silly fun. I'll say this again just to be clear: this movie has Frankenstein, the Wolf Man, and Dracula...plus a surprise mystery monster. Here's the trailer...



Be sure to vote for your favorite. Use the polling box to the right of the screen.

No comments:

Post a Comment