Monday, October 12, 2009

Let's Talk Movie Night: Part I

Most of you showed an interest in staying after school one day and viewing a few movies in their entirety. I'm up for it, too, so we should probably start discussing just what it is we want to do.

First, we need to answer a few questions in terms of logistics. How many movies? (I'm thinking 2, with a few extras thrown in - short films, trailers, cartoons, vintage educational films, etc.) How much time? (After school to when? Leave and come back later?) What day of the week? (Are you guys willing to stay on a Friday, or should we do it during the week and just end by 7 or 8?) and Where? (I've been brainstorming a few options. I think we should do it somewhere reasonbly fun and comfortable. We need to stay on school grounds, but onther than that I think we should let our imaginations go wild and worry about getting permission after we've got a game plan. Here are a few ideas I had: the ARC, the SAC, the IMC, room 195, one of the Pits, the auditorium. Let me know if you have any ideas. Is there a cool, weird place I'm not thinking of?)

Second, how big is this going to be? I think we need a maximum number of participants. I don't want it to get too huge. I guess it depends a bit on how many of you think you will attend, bu I'm thinking that if every member of the class attended, and each of you brought two friends, we'd be on our way to 50/60 people, and that would be about it. Or maybe you want to limit it to just members of the class.

Third, what are we going to watch? Again, I have a few ideas I'd like to share with you, but by no means are these our only options. The sky is the limit. (Sort of...)

Option 1: 70s Drive In Movie Night
We start off with a few vintage drive in movie advertisements...



(I've got dozens of these.) Then we watch a few classic trailers of off-beat 70s flicks.



And then we dive in to a classic 70s drive in genre-heavy double feature. Kung fu and action, maybe. Or horror and western...





There's a million we could go with, but these are a few that I personally love...The Five Deadly Venoms and Escape from New York. Lots of fun 70s cult classic action. Maybe even Django...I'ts about a cowboy who cruises through the desert dragging a coffin along with on a rope. Who's in the coffin? Only Django knows...



Option 2: 1940s Night at the Movies
We start off with a classic theatrical cartoon short or two...



And then an episode of a 1940s movie serial...



(I've been wanting to show you one of these anyways. They were 12 or 15 episodes long, 15 minutes per episode, and each week you'd see a different episode of the same story. There's a bunch of these. ) Then we watch a double feature of two 30s and 40s classics. I'd like to suggest two great movies that we just won't have time to get to in class...




Option 3 - Theme Night
Maybe we watch a few from a specific director and get an idea of his body of work. We could pick a country and watch a few French or Japanese films. Maybe we pick a genre and watch a western double feature or a few full length animated films you guys have never scene. Maybe we go with stop-motion animation night...


Ray Harryhausen is probably my all around favorite filmmaker, and I'd love sharing some of his stuff with you. It's just the most fun you can have at the movies. Total unabashed entertainment.

Option 4: Bad Movie Night
I used to sponsor a club where all we did was meet once a week and watch clips from bad movies. We could do that for a night. Watch clips and trailers from bad movies and end the night with a screening of this classic...



Or this one...



On second thought, maybe we should avoid science fiction, since we're hitting it so hard in class...

And so we begin. First question...do we even want to do this, and would you even go? Second, what do we want this night to be like? Please come back periodically to see how the discussion is going and to continually add ideas and opinions. Thanks.

7 comments:

  1. This would be really fun, and I would like to do it. But I think it would be better to do the movie night on a Friday, so people wouldn't have to worry about homework or anything, and we would be able to watch more films in one night. I think it would be really cool if we did a horror film fest the friday before Halloween.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Friday is good. If we did it before halloween, it would probably be a horror movie/theme. But Any other Friday, we could probably come up with something really cool. I really like our classroom because it has so much influence from films and that makes it really cool. Maybe one day we can have older movies, and another day we can do really modern movies. Or heres a thought- modern movies that take place in the past (like a movie that was made in the past few years but takes place like 100 years ago) or maybe an older movie about the present (that would be along the lines of sci-fi though). Just some ideas

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do agree with both Stephanie and Jessica about having the movie on Friday. I personally like option number 3, because I feel like we'd be able to see many different types of movies each week. We could have all genres of movies each week varying from Comedy-Horror. This is kind of a joke and kind of a serious statement, but how about, if the night isn't cold enough, we could try to project the movie on the football field or something like that. If it would be possible. Or hang a big white banner on the back of the bleachers for a movie screen and project a movie on it. Just some random possibilities.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I definitely believe we should have this movie night because it would be a fun and entertaining night were we could watch an entire movie all together as a class and talk about it freely and openly. I think that we should get together a collection of movies pertaining to the same topic and watch them all on a friday night at school until early the next morning. It would kind of be like a a film class lock in and would be fun. I was thinking like the lord of the rings or harry potter movies. We could also watch a lot of scary movies the friday night before halloween that would be fun too. We just need to make sure people will come and enjoy the movies we are watching.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it would be great idea for a lock in type situation like Will said. However instead of just watching clips from bad movies we should watch at least one truly bad movie. If anyone is up for truly bad movie check out this website:
    http://www.badmovies.org/

    their list of films is extensive and includes reviews by users.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm liking the halloween horror movie idea! We can watch some of the greatest, scariest movies of all time. Black and white maybe with a kind of modern one, ever seen The Hitcher? I think it's from the 80's. Really intense!
    I also agree Friday would be the best day to do it. No one's worrying about homework and usually people go to the theater on friday...so why not come to school for movie night? Maybe we can get some kids from our class to bring treats? I can bring some cookies or donuts, etc etc. We can all contribute? :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is kinda random n=but i was thinking about movie night and to go along with Zach's idea of bad movies we could watch how a movie series turns into a bad movie but still is awesome. What i was thinking is we could watch all the Planet of the Apes films, since we had talked about them in class, it would be fun to see the changes in the movies but still be entertained. I don't know if anyone is commenting anymore but get back to me if u can.

    ReplyDelete