Friday, October 2, 2009

Frankenstein - Alive and Well

When I was a kid, my parents bought me real nice hard cover book about horror movies entitles The Best, Worst, and Most Unusual Horror Movies by Darrell Moore. This was the early to mid 1980s, so Poletergeist  was about as modern as it got. Anyway, I read that thing religiously and rented whatever titles I could from our local video stores. (Crystal Video, Corner Video, and Dollar Video - all extinct now, naturally.) I hunted these things down like a big game tracker. This is how I discovered Altered States, The Shining, and, yes, the original King Kong.
Up until then, I had settled for the cheesy 1970s Dino De Laurentis version, for which I still have a soft spot.
You've got to admit, it takes some guts to call a sequel of a 1933 film the "most exciting original motion picture of all time." It's kind of like calling the McRib the "tangiest, tastiest slow roasted pork barbeque sandwich ever made in the history of the universe." Which it isn't. Although it is pretty damn good, especially with the pickles. Whoever thought of throwing pickles on a McRib is some kind of mad genius. Speaking of mad geniuses...

The two most intriguing entries of Moore's book had to be Tod Browning's Freaks and Thomas Edison's Frankenstein. (Yes, that Thomas Edison. Thomas "The Lightbulb Guy" Edison made the world's first Frankenstein movie.) The book explained how in 1910 Edison's company produced a fifteen minute silent adaptation of Mary Shelley's Frankenstein, and how since then all copies of the film had been apparently lost. People even forgot the film existed until the 1960s, when some guy found a picture of an actor ion full creature make-up playing the film's moster. There was suddenly a mad rush to find an existing copy of this legendary film...but none had ever been found.

And that's where I left off with the story. The 1910 Edison Frankenstein was one of my few personal cinematic holy grails. That is until Brandon sent me a link to a copy of the film on Youtube. (See what happens when you limit your research to books that are over two decades old? I should have known...try the Internet! So studpid!) So here it is. Enjoy and let me know what you think. (And thanks a million, Brandon. Extra credit, my friend!)

There's pretty good history of the film by Rich Drees over at Film Buff Online here.

While I'm thinking of it, here are two more silent German fantasy classics you might enjoy along with our study of Metropolis. The picture quality of each is less than spectacular, but both of these feature length films probably rival Metropolis in terms of cultural significance and historical importance. The first is Nosferatu (1922), an early take on the story of Dracula.

The second is The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (1919).

Now that I think of it, every movie I mentioned in this entry was in that book. Man, that was a good book. I'm going to go home and see if I can find it. And by the way, if you've never heard of Browning's Freaks, good luck.

Reactions?

4 comments:

  1. I honestly think filmmakers have let themselves get too carried away with digital FX that we can't go back. These movies talked about in your book have classic effects, storylines, and images overall. I don't think there's going to be anytime soon that this society goes backwards in filmmaking, so I think the original beauty of "film" is lost. bummer. diggin' the trailers, though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stephanie Kaszuba:

    I'm a bit surprised. I just watched part of Nosferatu and realized that its like an adaptation of Dracula (I don't see why the people who were making the movie didn't just do Dracula and instead took the ideas and just changed a few and changed some of the names- is that even legal?). I agree with Dakota that everything now is digital, and sometimes its over done (yes in some modern movies, digital is better but the classic effects are original and add interest to the movies). It's too bad the Frankenstein movie was lost, I'd like to watch the whole thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In response to Stephanie,

    The reason that several names and details were changed was due to the fact that the film makers couldn't get permission from Bram Stoker's estate. Eventually, Stoker's wife sued and the verdict was that all copies of the movie were to be destroyed. Luckily, several copies were never returned to be destroyed and now we all can enjoy Max Schreck as Nosferatu.

    In response to The Cabinet of Dr. Calgari:
    I haven't seen much of this film, but from what I have I have come to love the set desgins. The slightly off-balance look of the windows and walls adds a certain creepiness to the film.

    I have found a music video from a band called Rainbow (it features the guitarist who used to be in Deep Purple). Based on Dr. Caligari, this came out in 1983 and was their final single released:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcwWdLnLCnI

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely agree with Dakota everything these days is digital and sometimes overdone. I personally think that movies back then had much more interests and creativity. Now days everything is digital so there is no real beauty in the film that we admire in films from the past. Back then people were able to produce good movies without all these digital effects. While some were B picture as we discussed in class some films can still be pretty decent and it would be even better if the person who made was willing to pay to make it A picture. Hopefully people take it easy on the digital effects.

    ReplyDelete